Game MDA

 Game MDA



For this week I went through some readings and also videos to do with game mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics (MDA framework).

I found both the video and piece of text quite interesting and useful. It really helped me understand the methods that need to be used while in the process of making a game or thinking about a concept for a game. After learning more about the MDA framework I believe that it will be quite useful to use when I am creating my own game for this module For example one of the ideas that I was going to do for my game would be an endless runner type style of game. If I was to use the MDA framework I would go step by step and use it to plan out my game. 

The first step being mechanics. What I am planning on doing is an endless runner and the main mechanics of that style of game would be a distance counter, collectibles along the path for the player to collect and and maybe possibly a timer to see how long the player can last for. Another type of dynamic could be how much control the player has for example what direction they could move in terms of the endless runner

The second element in this framework would be the dynamics the choices that the player has that arises from the mechanics from the game. So in my case the player has the option to move left or right or to collect the items for example.

After reading the texts and videos I understand the third item in the framework that being aesthetics. The aesthetics are basically what comes from the dynamics of your game. I found the video breaking this section down especially quite useful how he used the "8 ways of fun method".

Here are some links that I found useful in  both text and video that  explain the MDA framework.

https://www.devteam.space/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/game-design-template.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzAjOqbNd0

https://gamedevelopertips.com/mechanics-dynamics-aesthetics-game-design-theory-behind-games/      

Comments

Popular Posts