Games GDD

 Games GDD


The reading tasks this week focused on a game design document also known as a GDD. I first looked at a piece of text which went and explained the importance of creating a GDD and how it will benefit you as you create your game. I also looked at a video where a simple GDD was shown and explained each section of the GDD in the simplest way possible.

With both of these pieces the text went into great detail about each section while the video skimmed over them quickly in much easier language to understand. After looking at these two pieces if I didn't end up using the software Dundoc I probably would have followed the list of sections in this article. I found it quite useful how it explained what information goes into certain sections of the GDD, the use of examples after each section really helped as well.

The video by benderwaffles was quite useful as well if i wanted a quick summary to remind me which pieces of information go into each section of the GDD. I then realized after watching his video that not all GDD will look the same due to the different sizes and styles of games but most of them follow a similar format.

I never thought that there was a set way to start production on a game but after looking at the pieces of text and video I found that using a GDD is very important for organization at the start before you even start coding so you have a clear goals that you want to achieve with your game. For example the mechanics that you want to implement, what characters will be in the game and the theme or genre of game you are going for.
 




Comments

  1. Hi Adam

    I enjoyed reading about your game design document and am hoping that I'll be able to read it soon. I am also looking forward to seeing and playing your final game and I wish you the best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts